One thing that I learned in the Army was that there is nothing as permanent as change.
With all of the planning, signing of the contracts, making deposits on those contracts, preparing the budget and registration forms, and waiting to be first in line for Pentagon tours (can only be made 90 days out from the desired date), who would have thought that a pandemic would break the continuous string of annual reunions of the 83rd Infantry Division Association.
Several things were taken into consideration in making the decision to cancel:
- The Governor of Virginia had locked down the state with many restrictions. As of this printing, it has been extended until at least May 28 for Northern Virginia and may be extended after that date.
Our hotel, luncheons, Arlington Cemetery/Army Museum/Pentagon tours are all in Northern Virginia.
- Arlington Cemetery is only opened for funerals with attendance limited to immediate family.
The Pentagon has suspended all tours.
- The National Museum of the United States Army has cancelled and not rescheduled its grand opening. When it does open, it will be only to individuals with tickets for at least the first month before groups will be allowed. There are still some “finishing touches” that need to be made.
- The Holocaust Museum is currently closed and will abide by the dictates of the District of Columbia government.
- Because we had a cut-off date for hotel reservations that could not be changed, we felt that it was best to work with the hotel to reschedule for the same time frame next year. The hotel has been amenable to that request.
We considered postponing until the fall or the spring, but felt that with uncertain conditions and (hopefully) schools being back in session, that the fall was not right. The spring entails higher costs with the Cherry Blossom Festival and many out-of-town school groups visiting the area.
We are working with all of our contractors and museums to reschedule all tours for a great reunion in 2021 from July 28 – August 1.
I hope this finds all doing well. Stay healthy.
See you next year.